Gebäude Außenansicht Detail West_4381

The Cultural Historic Museum Magdeburg

The Museum and Exhibits of art

The Magdeburg Cultural History Museum focuses on the history of the city in permanent and special exhibitions. It features the famous original statue of the "Magdeburger Reiter" in the medieval-like Emperor Otto hall with paintings from 1905/06 when the museum was founded. The permanent exhibition "Magdeburg - the history of the city" shows the development of Magdeburg from its first mention in 804 and its time as an imperial city under Otto the Great (812-873), the first "german empror". Through many original exhibits visitors can undergo the history of Magdeburg, which was completely destroyed and rebuild two times (1631 and 1945), had the famous physician Otto-van-Guericke as a mayor, was one of the most important fortress towns of Prussia, until it became the capital city of Saxony-Anhalt.

Furthermore the museum, which was built as an art museum but lost many of its precious objects due to World War II, contains an art collection as a permanent exhibition. At present, the exhibition contains paintings from the 15th to the 20th century, textiles, precious goblins from Flanders, furniture from various centuries, ceramics and a number of special collections.

In the same house the Museum of Natural History is also located.

Permanent exhibitions

Price per person:

Adults: 5 Euros
Concessions: 3 Euros
Group as of 12 persons: 2 Euros per person

Special Exhibitions may cost extra charge.

Historical background

At the beginning of the 20th century, the building was planned and erected by the Viennese architect Friedrich Ohmann. Architectural elements were used to recall the splendour of Renaissance and Gothic style. The Magdeburg Cultural History Museum was opened in 1906 and its first director Theodor Volbehr (1862-1931) took over many art and craft collections from various societies and from the city which were exhibited in the centre of the museum as the most important witnesses to Magdeburg's rich past.

The eastern building was added in a second construction phase in 1912/1913. The museum was partially destroyed at the end of the Second World War and suffered the nearly complete loss of its valuable exhibits which had been stored in other places for safe keeping. Reconstruction work began in 1945/46 and for practical reasons the Museum of Nature was added to the former Cultural Museum.